Saturday, January 12, 2013

Day 9: Change You. Change Your World.


Today's reading — Ephesians 5:1-21

I think one of the biggest challenges in Christianity today is the confusion over salvation. The Old Testament is full of rules. Even the New Testament has parables from Jesus, letters from Paul and stories a plenty about how we should live. It's easy to understand why people are easily confused. 

These 21 verses are full of what looks like "rules." Stay away from these things, don't associate with those people, do not do this, speak ling this, always, never, be very careful. It's almost nauseating. 

Or is it? 

Are these guidelines really for you? For me? Who was Paul talking to? And why? Is this relevant today? 

When I read through this, it reminded me of the book of James. Very straight-forward, concise and condemning. But it's only condemning if I allow it to be. It's only condemning because I want the Holy Spirit to work through these issues in me. 

Here's how I see it. Come to the word of God committing to follow only two "rules," that you love God and love people. The word of God tells us Jesus came into the world to SAVE us, NOT to condemn us. How can you NOT love someone who is so selfless, who models for us the way to love our brothers and sisters? And if you can love Him and love others with an honest and pure heart, you will WANT to become a better person. 

Circle this in your passage from verse 10 (NIV): find out what pleases the Lord. 

You see, when you love someone, TRULY LOVE THEM, you want to submit to them. You want to serve them. And that's what verse 21 says...."submit to one another out of reverence of Christ." 

Here's my boiled down version of not rules, but guidelines, for how I can follow more closely in God's will for me: 

1. Imitate God as best I can. 
2. Do not be sexually immoral, impure, obscene, talk foolishly or be greedy. 
3. Expose your sins and ask for forgiveness. 
4. Live as if every day is your last, always seeking to further God's kingdom. 
5. Seek wisdom in all ways. 
6. Live by the Holy Spirit! 
7. Always give thanks to God. 

Because I love my Lord, I WANT to do these things. You see, Jesus always put relationships first. When you do that, it's not a chore to follow rules. We seek them to improve our relationships. 

Not only does that make me a changed a person, it changes my community and changes my world. And makes me a Mighty Strong Girl.

{Hugs}
Amy 

No comments:

Post a Comment