Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 18: Healing from the sometimes sting of friendships

Today's reading — Proverbs 6

There are many, many themes in this selection and lots of scripture that would make nice Post-it note reminders for you, Mighty Strong Girl!

For instance, the seven things detestable to the Lord could be a good moral compass and reminder to post in your room. From verses 17-19:

        haughty eyes,
        a lying tongue,
        hands that shed innocent blood,
18         a heart that devises wicked schemes,
        feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19         a false witness who pours out lies
        and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

I also love the visual that comes to mind with verses 20-22: 
My son, keep your father’s command
    and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
21 Bind them always on your heart;
    fasten them around your neck.
22 When you walk, they will guide you;
    when you sleep, they will watch over you;
    when you awake, they will speak to you.

But today I feel compelled to talk about the beginning of this chapter, because I think it's at the heart of relationships — all relationships.

Our tongues can really get us in trouble...a lot.

I have a dear friend who is reading a book called "Safe People," which sounds phenomenal. God is softening her heart, and she sent me an apology text this morning, saying she was sorry for not following through with commitments she's made to me.

Oddly enough, I didn't feel that way about her at all. She's always followed through on every commitment that she said YES to.

But I have had plenty of friends who don't. Friends who speak secrets about other friends behind their backs. Friends who gossip. Friends who have good intentions but over-commit and then hurt the ones they love. One of my best friends when I was in college was like this. I won't lie, it stung. And it makes me overly-cautious about investing in a friendship still, which isn't a good thing! Girls need good BFFs!

Maybe you've felt the sting of someone who has not followed through with a promise, from verse 1, or maybe you are that friend. Have you been trapped by what you've said, ensnared by your own words, as in verse 2?

In the next verse, we are told we need to free ourselves when we become ensnared. Plead our case, humble ourselves and make things right. How many of us get defensive instead or wallow in our own self-pity, making our friendships even more tense and untrue? How useful is this? We need to preserve our relationships with our sisters in Christ and not let these things come between us!

My friend was attempting to do this today, and it made me really think about my own commitments. Am I following through? Doing all I can? If not, who's suffering as a result? And how can I make it right? How can I avoid over-commiting and serve my God in a way that honors Him and makes the best use of His gifts for me?

It was a good reminder that we need to make commitments where our "yes" can be "yes" and our "no" can be "no." And we can feel good about our relationships in the process!

{Hugs}
Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment