Monday, October 29, 2012

Who do you give credit to?


We were down 56-51. There were ten seconds left and when I hit my three pointer, my coach called a time out. After the time out, the clock was slowly running down and my teammate hits another three to help us successfully beat a team that’s got a lot of talent.
 
For the next couple weeks, I was so happy we won because of all OUR talent and strength. We, as a team, did it. 

What’s wrong with the last sentence? Everything! First off, we don’t have any strength or talent without God graciously giving it to us. For the past three years I didn't see that it isn’t my strength, or my teammates strength, but my Heavenly Father’s strength!
 
As a Junior this year, I’ve decided to put my pride behind me and fully trust God on and off the court. Why do something when I’m giving the credit to myself? Doing that is like getting an A on a test and cheating off my neighbor to get it. It’s not my credit, but I’m going to play it off as if it is.
 
I’m getting prepared for a big year of basketball with my team. I’m practicing, running, and eating healthier…wait, who am I kidding? I love food, and I won’t give that up unless God asks me too. As I was saying, I’m giving it my all this year. I’m trying to be a witness to my team and my competitors.I thought to myself, "How do I do that without telling them about Jesus during the game? I got it! I’ll write verses on my shoes." I kept replaying this is in my head and realized that Jesus comes first… Always!
 
I wasn’t sure what verses to use, but two jumped out at me. "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is my strength of my heart and my portion forever!" - Psalm 73:26. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” - Philippians 2:3. 

I proceeded to write these verses in sharpie on the back of my shoes to remind myself and the others around me that all the glory goes to God!

 You might be wondering how this has anything to do with a Mighty Strong Girl, but I’ll just come out and tell you that my place to mentor and show who Jesus is, is on my sports teams. God gives us unusual places to be a witness, but it’s important that you are obedient to everything He calls you to do! Swallow your pride and listen for God’s calling in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment