Thursday, September 13, 2012

Your prayer life is the sum of your investments

By Morgan Wells

“Basketball practice is going to be hard today!” 



Those are the words I heard from my peers at 3:08 p.m. one day during sophomore year. It was a routine for us. Getting yelled at and expecting a hard practice. 

My coach used to say, “What you put into it is what you’ll be sure to get out of it.” 

Those words have stuck with me since that day. Since then, I’ve grown and realized he wasn’t being mean at those hard practices, he was just showing us what hard work looked like and how it pays off when you play a good game. 
Everyday Monday-Friday, I get up, take a shower, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, and get ready for school. Most days, I wake up early and have time to kill. Could I watch music videos on TV, get on social networking sites, or fall asleep for a couple more minutes? All of those ideas sounded perfect to me until I heard a voice. A voice that most ignore, and I won’t lie,  I have my selfish moments where I listen to myself and the world around me instead of that important voice. 

This voice is easy to hear if you’ll listen closely, and really acknowledge the importance of it. The voice I heard on the morning of Sept. 4 changed my whole vision of the world around me. I felt comfortable with my relationship with God, until He said, “If you feel comfortable, you’re doing something wrong.” 

“I’m reading my bible, worshipping, and listening to a sermon every morning before school,” I told Him. “What else can I do?” 

“Morgan, you say you’re going to pray for that one person, but why aren’t you doing anything else about it?” 

I was always told that prayer was the only thing you could do for someone, but I realized this morning, prayer is the first step to everything. You pray before you go to bed, start your day, or even before a sporting event. 

I pray because I need God’s strength before I can do anything. I need God to give me a good night's rest, I need God to give me a good day, and I need God to give me the strength to conquer any game, test, or relationship. 
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.(Proverbs 3:5-6)” 

I put all my trust in God when I was saved on Aug. 7, 2011, but I’m learning each day you may have doubts, you will think your falling, and you will blame God for things you can’t control. It’s not about how many times you think you will fall down, but rather how many times you trust God to have your back, and know that He will always catch you! 

Your heavenly Father loves you more than you’ll ever known. Whenever you’re willing to give your life to Him, you’ll realize He already gave His son’s life for you. 

My coach was right, what you put in to something is what you’re going to get out of it. 







3 comments:

  1. Morgan I hope you continue to have faith in God. You are right that He is always there to catch us. Can't wait to hear more from you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Excellent post/blog. I know that it touched a nerve with me. I need to stop and listen for that voice more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. You are an inspiration to many girls!

    ReplyDelete