Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Yesterday I encountered the devil on Facebook

Yesterday I was ridiculously close to pulling the plug on my Facebook account. I was literally holding my finger above the button on my phone that says "deactivate account." 

I love reading and sharing encouragement on Facebook. It's where I get a lot of my news through various news outlets and through organizations that I support and love. 

But the drama yesterday was. Killing. Me. 

It wasn't even overt. It was subtle jabs and innuendos at ordinary unnamed people through posts, links, blogs and comments. Oddly enough, I was barely even on Facebook yesterday. I was super swamped and only checked in a few times for mere minutes on my phone. 

Before you get to thinking it was all my teen girl friends stirring up drama, think again! It was pretty much limited to grown ups on my friends list and many of them fellow Christians. 

Here's the killer part though. Because the meanness was so subtle, every time I saw or read something, I began to wonder what I'd done to tick off someone. Did I need to repent? Had I stumbled? 

I think that's OK. It's alright to allow these kinds of things to be used in such a way — to reflect and ask God to show you where you've fallen short. 

But I was obsessing for some reason. It was like a poison running through my veins, this thought that I had tainted my image somehow. Do you see my sin through this? Do you recognize it? 

Suddenly I was more concerned with how others viewed me than how God views me. 

I was actually relieved when I opened my Bible this morning to the assigned reading in my church's daily Bible reading plan and read these words: 

From Psalm 56:2-4
"My slanderers pursue me all day long; 
many are attacking me in their pride. 
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. 
In God, whose word I praise, 
in God I trust; I will not be afraid. 
What can mortal man do to me?"

What an awesome reminder! Mortal man can do NOTHING to you! Mortal man holds no power over you. Satan may try to convince you otherwise. It's a lie, a trick. The devil doesn't need complicated schemes; he simply finds your weaknesses. In my case, he went straight for self doubt and pride. 

But the truth is this, from Psalm 56:13
"For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life." 

Jesus took my place on the cross so that I could hang up sin. What freedom! Satan has no power over me unless I am stumbling. Seeking Christ keeps me walking in the light! 

And even more importantly, our identities have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with how other people see us, even if someone is twisting your words, plotting against you and conspiring harm (from Psalm 56:5-6). 

Because, as you will read in Psalm 57:2, it's God who fulfills his purpose in us. Our identity is securely fixed in Him, and nobody can take that away when we are choosing Him daily. 

If you want a freedom like this, repent and seek Jesus. He is the way, the truth and the light! 

But to fully bathe in it, you need to seek Him continually. That's where He will meet you. He did this for me, today, reminding me of these important truths, and He will do it for you, too! 

Often, I'm asked how I know it's God speaking to me. It's easy to discern the Holy Spirit when there are too many coincidences to explain. The coincidences come from daily prayer and Bible reading, plus song and worship. That's where He speaks to me! How about you? When and how do you hear the voice of God? 

As for Facebook, I'm still there. I'm contemplating another fast from it. It's good to remind myself that I should seek God first! It was also a good reminder to watch my own posts, should they cause someone else to stumble. Just last week in frustration with someone (who is not a Facebook friend or even in my "network"), I posted elusively about a situation involving my daughter. God calls us to confront one another in love. Calling each other out through social media and Internet is NOT reflective of the love of Christ. I was wrong, and I apologize to my FB friends!

But what Satan intended for evil, God was capable of using to shape and mold me. Thanks, Father God, for a loving, teachable moment! 

Hugs, 
Amy



2 comments:

  1. You don't know how much I needed this! I have these exact thoughts about facebook, it can be mean and not just to me! Most of the drama I see isn't about me, just hurts my heart to see such hate spewed across a screen! Thank you for that verse, it is going up as a reminder that my image is one that I want to resemble God and not everyone will see that! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad God spoke to you this morning, Bethany! Social media can be tough sometimes! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete