Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Beginning


By Meg


Okay, I love telling this story.
On my first day of seventh grade, I walked into Athens High School more confident than Iʼd ever been in my life. It seems strange thatʼd Iʼd feel this way, but all my life leading up to that point Iʼd been unconsciously preparing myself for that moment.
I went into the multipurpose room off the high school hallway and walked over to where my new class was sitting. All of a sudden a boy (whose name I will not disclose) yelled over at me, “Hey, are you new?”

Of course I answered, “Yep, sure am. My nameʼs Meg.”
I will always remember that boy as the first one ever to talk to me at Athens Junior/Senior High School. Of course, for the first two weeks of school he thought my name was May, but itʼs whatever.
Athens High School was good for me. Thereʼs no question I have made lasting friendships there, and it felt amazing to have God work through me in others' lives, and to feel God working inside me through the people at Athens. My family found an amazing church, and we settled down on a 5-acre patch of heaven. I buried my fears and sadness about the move until those feelings were gone.
Unfortunately, the pain returned four years after we moved to Illinois. My dad took a job in Anchorage, Alaska, and we moved back.
Going through a transition takes something out of you. After moving away from all my amazing friends in Illinois, I feel completely lost. This struggle isnʼt just something that happened a long time ago that I can talk about easily; this is something thatʼs happening right now. And if you're reading this blog, itʼs probably happening to you, too.

The thing is, when God throws you a curveball, you can either stand there and let it hit you in the face, or you can catch it. Iʼm going to be completely honest. I let the ball hit me in the face. And right now, Iʼm trying to chase it down.
The first transition brought me closer to God. I felt like I was making a difference in Athens for other people, but here in Chugiak, Alaska, I feel totally separated from everyone and everything. Including God.

Now, Iʼm not here to complain. Itʼs the last thing I want to do. I just want you to know Iʼm not an expert on transitions. Iʼm still learning even now. Let me tell you this: Iʼve come to realize that sometimes what we feel isnʼt what is true. God is here with me, and God is there with you. Sitting next to you. Right now. All you and I have to do is go to Him, and He will give us rest.
Make an effort to like the new place God has put you. Who knows, He might surprise you. :)

4 comments:

  1. This is true. and amazing. Thank you Meg. Thank you for making a difference in lives here in Athens. Thank you for spreading God's glory and being a wonderful friend to me and many many others. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only God could help you understand that the feelings we have are not always the whole truth of our situations. Continue to listen to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I got a little teared up as I read this. I wish there were more times I caught the ball instead of letting it hit me in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg,
    God has a reason for everything. I truly believe that your family moved to Anchorage to be a blessing to others. You and your family are seriously a huge blessing to Patrick, Kelsey and Ethan Ryan, and for that I am so thankful to God!!! You are there for such a time as this. Your family's ministry to my daughter and her little family is a tremendous relief for me and Jay. It was great seeing you and fellowshipping with you and your family on Thanksgiving Day!!! I love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete