Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Baggage


Emotions are a huge part of being a teenager. During our adolescent years, emotions begin to fluctuate and, for some of us, emotions completely take over.
 
Itʼs easy to deal with positive emotions, like happiness and joy, but the negative emotions arenʼt so simple. Itʼs not easy to get rid of anger, hurt and frustration. The important thing is that itʼs possible to move past them, with Godʼs help. If we shove these emotions down and donʼt deal with them, they become baggage.

Baggage isnʼt fun. Iʼve dealt with baggage that accumulated over my transitions. The little things add up. I had thoughts like, I donʼt want to move...why do my parents think this is best? and Wow, all my old friends have moved on without me. Now Iʼm all alone. These were my emotions talking, but I didnʼt share them with anyone. I shoved them down inside.
 
I felt like it would be bothersome if I tried to talk to my parents or a friend about my feelings. Well, I was wrong, and my baggage got heavier until I could no longer move.
 
I guess the moral of the story is that when life gives you emotions, make an effort to deal with them, whether itʼs internally (with God), or externally (with a family member or friend). Donʼt complain over and over to yourself, because thatʼs not going to help. Moving is a really hard thing...one of the hardest things to deal with in a lifetime, and itʼs not good to isolate yourself.

Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins, and He made a way for us to give up our bad emotions and baggage to Him. Heʼs waiting with open arms. He wants our baggage. Surprisingly, itʼs not pleasant to give our baggage to Him, but after itʼs gone, thatʼs when the good feelings start to return. Start now, say a prayer, and ask God to help. Heʼs always there.
 
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” ~Philippians 4:6 

No comments:

Post a Comment