Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 29: Do you offer LOVE to the school gossip?


Today's reading — Proverbs 17

So, the last blog was about gossip. This one picks up right where that one left off. In Proverbs 17, verse 9: 

She who overs over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends. 

I'll be honest, I've got a LOW tolerance for gossip. If you share something with me about someone else that SHOULD come from their lips to my ears and not from your lips, I tend to hold it against you. 

I never say anything to you about it, but for darn sure I talk to my husband. And I'll know never to tell you anything of a personal nature about myself. Because now I don't trust you. Even if you had someone's permission, that what they told you was NOT in confidence, I don't feel it's right to discuss other people's problems without them present! Period. 

OK, who's sinning here? 

According to our verse, repeating the matter separates close friends. And I never repeat someone's secrets, so that must make me a good person. Right? 

Hmmmm.... This verse had me thinking that I'm not actually covering over the offense in love. Instead, I get defensive and judgmental, righteous and all holier-than-thou. 

Is it OK not to trust someone who speaks of others' secrets? Probably. God wants us to be discerning about our friendships. But He also asks us to extend the hand of grace and the offer of forgiveness. Just like He did for us!

{seeking more of His grace}
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment