Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 32: How to give your friends more than they expect!


Today's reading — Proverbs 20

One of the wisest things I ever learned at photography seminars and workshops had nothing to do with how to make a photography technically better. It didn't have to do with Photoshop or even how to order or package deliveries. It had to do with relationships. 

Under-promise and over-deliver. A message that came up over and over again. Give your customers more than they expect!

Is that how our relationships should be, too? 

In today's reading, Proverbs 20:25 says, 

It is a trap for a man to dedicate something rashly and only later to consider his vows. 

Have you ever done this? Made a promise to a friend or a boyfriend? You meant well at the time. It sounded good ... then. But reality set in and you couldn't deliver. 

I try hard to avoid this, but last year in the midst of a busier-than-usual season of life, I desperately wanted to help a friend with something I felt passionate about. She was on a tight deadline, however, that I knew I wouldn't be able to meet. And yet, I promised her I would. Because I wanted to. Even our best intentions cannot overcome the reality of our situations!

How much better would it be for our relationships if we didn't err in this way? If instead of promising anything, I just dove in to help if or when I was able? 

Carefully contemplate your commitments today. You will find when you put Jesus front and center, He will make more things possible for you than you ever thought you could do alone. And all those other things, you will be able to way over-deliver on! 

{seeking improved relationships}
Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment