Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 35: How you can get rich beyond measure

Today's reading — Proverbs 23

I had a well-meaning family member who spoke over me as a child that I should seek a high-paying profession. 

As long as I could remember (from age 6 or 7), I wanted to be a writer. It was my absolutely passion, and I could envision nothing else. Plus, when it came to other subjects, there was none I was better at in school. I was definitely not strong in math, and while I loved science, I did not perform well in chemistry and physics. I felt conflicted by what this man was telling me. Writers don't typically earn a very high income! In my naïveté , I simply sought happiness, which he left out of the equation entirely — something creating an utter confusion in me.
Proverbs 23:4-5 offers a kind of wisdom contrary to that given to my family member:

Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle. 

Does this mean people who are wealthy are bad? Of course not! Money is amoral. It is without blame. It's the coveting of money and the uses of money by a human mind or hand where blame comes in! 

I know many physicians and successful business people who have been financially blessed. As a result, and because of their heart to follow their passion and calling in life (and not to chase money), their donations and contributions toward Christ's kingdom have a multiplying effect. They are cheerful givers who are living out their identity in Christ in both occupation and gifting. 

How do you measure up here? Do you think about how much money you will ultimately earn when you weigh career choices? Or do you follow where your heart leads, ask for God's guidance and seek out a blend of your heart's desire and His will for you? 

I must admit I've done both in my lifetime, and I came to wisdom in this matter much later than I'd like to admit. It wasn't that long ago that I sacrificed godly service to work more hours so I could "make more money." But I was no longer giving back with my creative talents to the God who handcrafted me and made them a special part of who I am. And when I did that, I was not blessed. My "riches" seemed to go out of my bank account as quickly as they were deposited with nothing to show for it. 

There's a balance in here that God wants for you. Girls, God has a unique plan for you. When you cast aside the money matter, you will be blessed beyond measure! He will pour riches upon you that have eternal value, and your checkbook may not be overflowing, but you will have ALL that you need!

{grateful for God's blessing}
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment