Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Real Truth

By Cece

     Real and true are words I never hear any more. 
     Now girls are all about conforming to society, trying to make friends, landing the cutest boy and doing whatever they can to be noticed. 
     But honestly going through all the trouble doesn’t guarantee happiness or perfection. All you are really doing is admitting that you are willing to change everything about yourself just to gain acceptance. 
      All through junior high school I was what I considered to be a wallflower. People didn’t really notice me. I was invisible to everyone — the bookworm who never said much to anyone.
     But the thing was…that wasn't who I wanted to be. I dreamed of being the center of attention. I wanted to be different, surprising. 
     I felt as if I was trapped in a box, stuck with the image everyone wanted me to be. Even though I wanted to change, to be defined by me, I didn’t try. I thought no one would accept the new me, so I stayed unhappy and miserable. 
     Little did I know that changing the minds of others wouldn’t be as hard as I imagined. I decided to actually try with my appearance, dressing how I wanted to and taking pride in myself. 
     Once I looked the part, I decided to "act" the part. Instead of taking shelter in my fantasy world of literature, I ventured out of my comfort zone and got involved in debates, conversations, and clubs. I didn’t let the opinion of others influence my decisions anymore. 
     Want to know the real truth about breaking away from the crowd and doing your own thing? It just takes determination and confidence to be who you are. No matter what you want to be or do, you have the power to overcome the status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment