Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Payson reveals her real identity

     by Katie Basso
Katie Basso First off, let me reintroduce myself. 
      My name, my REAL name, is Katie Basso. I am 16 years old, soon to be 17, and will be a senior at Athens High School next year. And, as I said when I was Payson, I have and still struggle with an eating disorder and a self-harm addiction. 
     The first thing I’d like to explain as my real self is how terrifying this whole thing is for me. Everyone is going to know my story. I have kept this a secret for 5 years. I desperately tried to hide this from my friends and family, and now it’s all coming out. 
     I know you’re probably asking, “Well if you’re so scared then why are you sharing it?” 
     Because I feel like God is calling me to. Because I feel like sharing my story could help someone who is going through what I went through. Because I am no longer ashamed of my mental illness, and I feel that no one should be ashamed of theirs. 
     A little over 2 years ago I met Amy, the founder of Mighty Strong Girls. She saw my posts on Facebook and she messaged me, sending me virtual hugs. That summer I went to a Christ In Youth conference that changed my life. That was the first time I really felt like God was calling me to share my story, although at the time, I was still really deep in my struggles. But I said yes anyway. 
      I talked to Amy about how I could share my story. She told me to write out my story while she searched. Eventually she told me that there was nothing out there. But, being the amazing person that she is, she came up with her own idea. Mighty Strong Girls. I was a little skeptical at first. But, soon it became this amazing thing with the help of so many amazing people. 
     So yeah, I guess you could say that I am the reason why Mighty Strong Girls is even a thing, but I don’t like to look at myself that way. I look at it as God bringing Amy and I together, and Him giving me the strength to even consider sharing my story, and Him giving Amy the idea of Mighty Strong Girls. 
      It was all God. So anyway, here I am. The real me. My story. I hope you all can bear with me as I share the part of me that I’ve had hidden for so long.

     You can read Katie's story in her own words in the summer issue of Mighty Strong Girls magazine. It is available for sale at http://www.mightystronggirls.com/the-magazine.html. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment